Google is a search engine which was launched in the year 1997 by two Stanford students namely Larry Page and Sergey Brin. These two had worked hard for two years, searching various methods for finding information on the internet. The time since they have created a powerful online search engine like Google the company as earned over $400 billion! Thus, Google is one of the most popular and valuable brands worldwide. After its launch, it started working on its other amazing features. Today, in the year 2017 which is 20 years after the launch of Google you can use it for navigation, mailing, watch videos, read news, translate things and much more.
Here is a list of some amazing things about Google!
• Google has the largest number of websites worldwide: It has an index with more than 3 billion websites. Google searches through all these websites within a second.
• Backrub was the real name of Google: The makers wanted to name it Google which was a term used for one with hundred zeroes. Then they named it Google which would depict their company’s mission to make all information accessible. Thus, the name was changed.
• Page Rank is the search technology of Google: Page Rank assigns a value of relevance to every website and determines its importance in the web world. This has been named after Larry Page. If Page Rank ranks your website important then your web page would rank the highest.
• The working system of Page Rank is secretive making it more authentic.
• On August 16, 2013, Google was inaccessible for 5 minutes which decreased the global internet usage by 40%. This proves how important Google is today.
• Google wanted to sell its search engine for $2 million to Yahoo in the year 1997 but they rejected the offer. In the year 2002, Yahoo wanted to buy Google for $3 billion. This time Google rejected the offer. Today, Google is much more valuable than yahoo.
• The first tweet on Google was “I am feeling lucky”. Today, Google has 12.2 million followers on Twitter.
• Google has around 16% to 20% of all searches which has not been searched before. This means that Google gets millions of searches per day which have been never done before.
• The Google homepage is available in 80 different languages. Its translation is also available in the same number of languages.
• In 2014, Google earned its revenue from Google advertising. Google presently earns mostly from Search Engine Advertising, companies that can pay to stand at the top of the search results.
• 33% of all the searches on Google come from smart phones. On 21st April of this year, Google officially introduced their new algorithm that measured mobile usability, which means that if your web page is searched on smart phones then your web page would have a higher ranking.