“I play each point like my life depends on it”, Rafel Nadal told once and is proving it over and over again how dear his life is to him.
Yes, as expected he won his 10th French Open title by crushing Stan Wawrinka by 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 at Roland Garros in just over two hours.With this win, he becomes the first player in the Open Era to win 10 titles at any Grand Slam event.
Wawrinka’s unexpected and memorable win over world’s No. 1 Andy Murry in semifinals held our expectations high of a very close and tough final, but Rafel didn’t give him any chance to come even close to him in final. He made World No.3 ranked Wawrika powerless, and crushed him by his power play, relentless hitting, and precision.
Not only this, by winning 15th Grand Slam title he set a new record of being 2nd player to win the highest number of Grand Slams just next to his arch rival and legendary Roger Federer on the all-time list.
With his records on the clay court, once again he proved he is undisputed ‘King of Clay Court’ as called. No one can forget that exhibition match when he defeated former Grand Slam tournament champion Pat Cash in a clay-court, and then he was 15 years old. Since then he is slaying clay court.
A glance at few of his records is enough to prove why he ‘King of Clay’ and ‘a legend’.
• This Spaniard won five straight French Open singles titles from 2010 to 2014 to become the only player in this event to win five consecutive single titles.
• Earlier he had accounted four straight French Open singles titles from 2005 to 2008 on his name.
• He is the first, and only male player till this date to win three consecutive Grand Slam Tournaments on three different surfaces (clay, grass, and hardcourt) in the same year (2010).
• He has a record of being the youngest player in the Open Era to complete men’s singles Career Grand Slam, at the age of 24.
• He has won a record 30 ATP Masters titles tied with Djokovic.
He and his arch rival Roger Federer (Greatest rivalry of Sports History)
- These 2 titans have clashed total 37 times and the record is in the favor of Nadal with 23 wins overall and 9 Grand Slam wins.
- But mutual respect for each other is far away from any rivalry.
“If anyone says I am better than Roger, then he doesn’t know anything about tennis”-Nadal for Federer
“I’m his (Nadal) No. 1 fan, I think his game is simply tremendous. He’s an incredible competitor and I’m happy we’ve had some epic battles in the past”-Federer for Nadal
Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- These 2 warriors have clashed 50(highest face-offs) times in total till this date and records are in favor of Djokovic with 26 wins.
- But total number of Grand Slam Titles is still in favor of 31 years Nadal.
Some Crazy Facts about Nadal-
• He won the Spanish and European tennis titles in his age group (only 12 Years old).
• He used to play Football and tennis both but had to make a choice and choose Tennis over Football.
• He beat Roger (Only 17 Years old) Federer the first time they played and became the youngest man to reach the third round at Wimbledon since Boris Becker.
Minutiae about Nadal
• Nadal’s favorite movies are Gladiator and Titanic.
• He is the editor of Barcelona’s daily newspaper ‘El Periodico de Catalunya’.
• He is a little superstitious and doesn’t let anyone move his water bottle from where he places it at the beginning of the game.
• Nadal appeared in music video “Gypsy,” of Shakira, and their sizzling chemistry in this song gave air to quite a rumors, but they have denied any such thing. And he is in a happy relationship with his girlfriend Francisca Perello.
• He is 4th highest paid tennis player of all time currently.
• He is a great humanitarian and supports charities like City Harvest, Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, Elton John AIDS Foundation etc.
A long way to go Nadal…………. we are waiting for your sky high records!