Everyday there is a new horror story about puppy mills illegally breeding pups for sale while the number of abandoned pets and strays are growing. Animal and rescue shelters are striving hard to create awareness about adoptions, especially strays. And the unlikely boost came in the form of celebrities who adopted strays and set examples for the society’s future stray saviors. The drive of rescuing abandoned pets from shelters has been taken up by many celebrities in India and abroad.
1. MS Dhoni adopted a stray, Leah, from Ranchi’s Hope and Animal Trust.
2. Sharmila Tagore adopted Mishti from World for All, an NGO for animals in Mumbai.
3. Randeep Hooda with Candy, a pariah he rescued.
4. Kapil Sharma with Zanjeer, a retired police dog he rescued from a shelter home.
5. Kalki Koechlin with her adopted, stray kitten, Dosa.
6. Soha Ali Khan with her adorable set of adopted pooches, Masti and Nimki.
7. Sonakshi Sinha with her adopted puppy, Bambi.
8. Selena Gomez with Baylor who is the 6th rescue dog she adopted.
9. Charlize Theron with Tucker, one among her four adopted dogs.
10. Zooey Deschanel adopted siblings Dot and Zelda together because she didn’t want to separate them.
11. Bradley Cooper with Charlotte who was adopted from a Santa Monica shelter.